Throat Blog — Surgery is Scheduled


It is with mixed feelings I got the news, today, that the surgery is scheduled for next Monday (May 20) at UTSW Clements Hospital. On the one hand, I am glad to have a definite date. But, on the other hand, this is a surgery I really wish I didn’t have to have. Wish in one hand, spit in the other…see which one fills fastest. And, I spit a lot, lately since I can’t swallow. So, it is what it is.

Also got the radiologist report form the neck CT taken last week. The tumor is continuing to get bigger and is now destroying adjascent cartilages. Also it is very close to the tracheostomy tube, now, so really needs to come out before it starts to interfere with the only airway I’ve got.

Good news from that report is that the nodule in my upper left lung has not gotten any bigger. There is still some question as to whether this is cancer or just something I’ve inhaled that my body is dealing with. The surgeon said he’d like to get a biopsy of it. The problem has been that these nodules are so small, it is difficult to get any material from them without risking pneumothorax (collapsed lung). Being so small, they would tend to move out of the way of the needle.

This week, I’ll need to finish all my pre-surgical prepping. I have a bag packed for the hospital, but need to unpack/repack it to be sure I didn’t forget anything. I also need to make sure I pack chargers for my phone and tablet. The first few days I’ll be in ICU, so probably have to wait until I get to a regular room to get most of my stuff (packed bag, guitar).

Since the hospital stay isn’t expected to be but a week or so, not much needs to be done to prep the house. The cat’s food, water, and litter box all run for a week or more (water and litter box need attention first), so he’ll only need one visit for essentials while I’m gone. But, he might get a few more visits just to be petted…hopefully he’ll not be as stressed when I get back as he was last time I was gone for 10 days.

Tomorrow I have my consult with the speech/swallow therapist first thing in the morning. That is supposed to last about an hour and prep me for what will happen during recovery.

Work-wise, our office is being relocated during my absence. So, this week I need to finish packing it up so that it can be put in the new space.

I suspect the rest of my time will be spent trying to find things to do to take up the rest of my time. Well, things to do besides fretting.

Leave a Reply